2020-2021 Lakeland Central School District Board of Education Goals
The Lakeland CSD accepts the challenge of preparing students for a rapidly changing world, and provides the opportunity for all students to learn and succeed. We encourage, promote, and develop life-long learning and educational excellence in a safe, secure, student-centered environment. Our practices and policies are shaped by mutual respect, open and honest communication, ethical behavior, and personal responsibility.
Board of Education Mission
The Board of Education will support the District’s mission to fully prepare students to meet life’s challenges achieving educational excellence, setting high standards, and expecting the best from students, teachers, administrators and staff.
BOARD GOAL AREA #1 - BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETINGS
- Commit fully to Board role by preparing for, attending, and engaging in BOE meetings.
- Achieve 100% Board participation in Board committees from members on committee and report at Board meetings including recommendations when appropriate.
- Collaboratively provide input into Board work session presentation schedule throughout the school year.
BOARD GOAL AREA #2 - SELF-IMPROVEMENT
- Attend at least one workshop, meeting, retreat, seminar, forum, etc. and share resources that offer insight, knowledge and training on Board member improvement.
- Conduct/review Board self-evaluation annually.
- Create and maintain a planning timeline calendar for Board Members.
- Develop and adhere to Board Protocols as stated in Board Policies.
BOARD GOAL AREA #3 - DISTRICT-WIDE SUPPORT/COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
- Provide a high quality education for Lakeland students while supporting and promoting the physical and emotional health and safety needs of students and staff created by the COVID 19 pandemic.
- Participate in the Superintendent evaluation process.
- Operate within role.
- Attend events across the district; educational, artistic and athletic.
- Increase and maintain positive engagement with staff, community and students.
- Provide various means to effectively and accurately communicate to the community.
BOARD / DISTRICT GOAL AREA # 4 - INITIATIVE DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION
- Using District protocols the Board will review, understand and provide feedback on new initiatives in the design and decision phase of development.
- Receive regular updates prior to and following implementation of new initiatives.
BOARD / DISTRICT GOAL AREA # 5 - EQUITY
- Continue to support a safe, welcoming, and inclusive climate with a strong emphasis on anti-racism, anti-bias, anti-bullying, character education, civic engagement, student leadership and family engagement. Continue to implement the District and School Safety Plans, the Dignity Act, and the NYS Culturally Responsive and Sustaing Education Framework.
- Evaluate and hire an equity trainer/moderator and continue BOE training, which was initiated in 2020.
- Review/update LCSD’s Mission/Vision/Core Beliefs to include equity.
- Support the creation of a committee for equity, diversity and inclusion; recommend two board members to sit on the committee.
- Through the committee, provide input and recommendations for a long-term strategic equity plan along with goals and target dates of accomplishments.
- Examine student data to identify inequities and develop measurement tools/goals to ensure accountability.