Eight LCSD performance groups took home medals at the NYSSMA (New York State School Music Association) Majors Festival hosted at WPHS (May 24-26, 2022)
At the end of May, performing groups from schools around the county came to perform and be formally judged according to the high standards set by NYSSMA. To participate in the NYSSMA Majors Festival, each ensemble must choose music based on the NYSSMA difficulty level: level 1 is the least challenging music to perform, whereas level 6 is the most challenging music to perform. An ensemble can be awarded Participation, Bronze, Silver, or Gold rating by the judges for their performance. Groups from Lakeland High School, Walter Panas High School, and Lakeland Copper Beech Middle School participated, with many taking home Gold and Silver awards:
- Walter Panas High School Chamber Choir (Level 6 Gold) - Directed by Mr. Jamie Stroffolino
- Walter Panas High School Bella Voce (Level 5 Gold) - Directed by Mr. Jamie Stroffolino
- Walter Panas High School Orchestra (Level 3 Silver) - Directed by Mr. Patrick Murphy
- Walter Panas High School Concert Band (Level 3 Gold) - Directed by Mr. Patrick Murphy
- Walter Panas High School Wind Ensemble (Level 5 Silver) - Directed by Mr. Patrick Murphy
- Lakeland High School Wind Ensemble (Level 5 Gold) - Directed by Mr. Matthew Kowalski
- Lakeland Copper Beech Middle School Honors Chorus (Level 2 Gold) - Directed by Ms. Antonella Delli-Carpini
- Lakeland Copper Beech Middle School Honors Band (Level 2 Gold) - Directed by Mrs. Karen Jacques
Congratulations to all of our music students for their outstanding performances! Your dedication, practice, and high level of musicianship at the NYSSMA festival make us all very proud! And thank you to our music teachers: Jamie Stroffolino, Patrick Murphy, Antonella DelliCarpini, Matthew Kowalski, and Karen Jacques, for the support and encouragement they provide their students.
Please click here to view listing of music students that performed at NYSSMA
Lakeland Salutes May 19, 2022
2022 Tenure Recipients
Earlier this evening, five (5) administrators and thirty-three (33) teachers were celebrated on the occasion of achieving tenure. Congratulations and best wishes to all as you continue your journey as a tenured educator of the Lakeland Central School District.
Deana Hartung, Assistant Principal GWES
Frank Ruolo, Principal LCBMS
Samantha Stein, Assistant Principal LHS
Jessica Stock, Assistant Principal LCBMS
Christopher Urso, Assistant Principal TJES
Kayla Baruffo, School Psychologist WPHS
Martha Bean (Mulholland), Science LHS
Christopher Becker-Hawkins, Elementary GWES
John Binaso, English WPHS
Mallory Chanin, Speech BFES
Haylee Colombo, Foreign Language LHS
Madelene Conetta, Elementary TJES
Corinne Credendino, Math LHS
Alejandra Debany, Special Education BFES
Deanna DePalma, Elementary LTES
Jenna Di Benedetto, Science LCBMS
Kathryn Gamerota ,Art LCBMS
Lauren Garbuio, ENL LTES
Robert Gill Special Education, VCES
Jennifer Gillotti Special Education, BFES
Michael Grippo Math, LCBMS
Kayley Harkins Social Worker, TJES
Stephen Kingsley, English LHS
Krysta Kroohs, Special Education LHS
Adam Lawrence, Elementary GWES
Kristen Liakos, Math LCBMS
Katharine Liguori, Elementary GWES/VCES
Christine Long, Art BFES
Christina Lopez, Special Education VCES
Margaret Martin, Elementary VCES
Dana Oddo, Special Education VCES
Steven Poccia, School Counselor LCBMS
Carmela Rigaglia, Social Studies LHS
Michele Rotger, Elementary BFES
Ryan Shilling, Social Studies LHS
Julianne Summers, Art VCES
Brandon Thomas, School Counselor WPHS
Tracey Vetrano, Elementary LCBMS
Daniella Ferreira: New York State School Nurse Association Award for Excellence in Nursing
We are very proud to share that Daniella Ferreira is a recipient of the New York State Association of School Nurses Award for Excellence in Nursing. This honor recognizes the efforts of our nursing supervisor throughout this school year and her career. In her nomination form, it was noted by her colleagues that she should be praised for her administrative and clinical skills, and commitment to the profession. Daniella has been with Lakeland Central School District since 2012 and has seamlessly transitioned into the role of nursing supervisor in the midst of the pandemic. Her leadership during this school year has ensured a consistent pandemic response across the district and she has been a reliable, informed, and caring resource for our staff and students. Congratulations Daniella on this well-deserved honor.
Destination Imagination 2022: The District’s Destination Imagination teams were awarded at the New York State Tournament and next week we’ll send four teams to the Global Finals in Kansas City, Missouri! Destination Imagination is a worldwide educational problem-solving program for students that fosters creativity, problem-solving, and critical thinking. Ten Lakeland teams participated in the New York State Tournament at SUNY Broome in Binghamton and were awarded in the Fine Arts, Engineering, Technical, Scientific, and Service Learning categories.
Congratulations to all on their impressive accomplishments! Thank you to all of our team managers for supporting and encouraging our students. Special thanks to our Destination Imagination District Coordinators, Risa D'Amaso and Amy Roth, for their many efforts.
Allegedly Fruit Salad :) NY State Tournament: 1st place, Fine Arts, Secondary Level, and received the prestigious DaVinci Award
- Annika Easaw- WPHS, Lucy DiSisto- LHS, Emlin Doell- LHS
- Team manager: Susan DiSisto
Estamos Unidos (LCBMS) NY State Tournament: 1st place, Scientific, Middle Level
- Audrey Hoff, Alexis Ma, Alana Tolve, Raquel Gonzalez
- Team manager: Heather Hoff
Super Sonic Six NY State Tournament: 2nd place Engineering, Secondary Level
- Ronak Das - WHS, Jade Arunkumar- WHS, Todd Joseph Sayers- LCBMS, Abilash Jagannathan- LCBMS
- Team manager: Neepa Biswas
Super Steam Train NY State Tournament: 1st place Engineering, Elementary Level, and Renaissance Award
- Ronik Das- VCES, Alanie Ortiz - GWES, Julie Morale- GWES, Maxx Arunkumar- LTES, Alexander Xavier- LTES, Samarth Singh- GWES
- Team managers: Neepa Biswas and Vincent Xavier
April 21, 2022 Lakeland Salutes (pdf)
- SCOTT STAUB - LHRIC TELL AWARD WINNER
March 24, 2022 Lakeland Salutes (pdf)
- ALEXIS KELLY AND OLIVIA MARRICCO - GYMNASTICS
Alexis Kelly has just completed her third season on the LPPV Gymnastics team. Alexis competed in the All Around during the season, with her highest score being 33.70. At the Divisional Championship, Alexis captured 4th place in the All Around with a score of 33.05. At the Sectional Championship, Alexis scored 33.70 and finished in 12th place in the All Around, while also qualifying for the State Tournament on vault. At the NYS Championships, Alexis scored a 7.850 on vault. Alexis received All League and All Section honors this season. Congratulations Alexis!
Olivia Marricco is an 8th grader at LCBMS. She just completed her second season for the LPPV Rebels gymnastics team. Olivia competed in the All Around the entire season and scored over 36.00 points each time she competed. The highest score she received this season was 37.550. At the Divisional Championship, Olivia scored 37.00 and finished first in the All Around. At the Sectional Championship, she captured 3rd place on vault, 1st place on bars, 1st place on beam, 4th place on floor, and scored 37.550 for first place in the All Around, thus qualifying her for the State Tournament. At State Championships, Olivia competed in the All Around and finished with a score of 35.65 for a 12th place finish, while also finishing 6th on bars with a score of 9.275. Olivia received All League and All Section honors this season. Congratulations on a great season Olivia!
- GRACE ADEYEYE AND BROOKE SAYRE - GIRLS INDOOR TRACK
Grace Adeyeye had one of the best hurdling seasons in school history. She won the 55 meter high hurdles at the League, County, and Sectional championships. She also won the Section 1 state championship qualifier with a Section leading time of 8.69 seconds. Grace placed 7th at the New York State Championships, missing the medal stand by only .04 second. Grace joined her sister, Mary, as two of the three athletes to break 9 seconds in the last 60 seasons! Congratulations Grace!
Brooke Sayre was the Class AA Section 1 champion in the 600 Meter run. She finished 3rd at the Section 1 state qualifying meet with a time of 1:39.2, which ranks her as the 2nd fastest 600 Meter runner in school history. Brooke, along with runners from Harison, Valhalla, and Tappan Zee, represented Section 1 in the intersectional relay and placed 5th overall to claim a spot on the podium. Congratulations Brooke!
- CONNOR MCGANNON - WRESTLING
- ALEX GORZULA - BOYS SWIMMING
Congratulations to LPPV (Lakeland/Panas/Putnam Valley) Rebel Boy's Swimmer, Alex Gorzula, for qualifying for the NY State Swimming Championship. At the beginning of March, Alex competed at Ithaca College against the strongest high school swimmers in the state! Alex managed to qualify for four events at states, which is extremely rare. He qualified in the 200-yard freestyle, the 200 IM, the 500-yard freestyle, and the 100-yard breaststroke. Alex swam in the 100-yard breaststroke and finished in 39th place with a time of 1:03.06. Alex made it back for finals in the 500-yard freestyle and finished in 15th place overall with a time of 4:46.81. Coach Connolly and Coach Greco are very excited to see what his senior year will hold for him. Well done Alex! 2
December 9, 2021 Lakeland Salutes (pdf)
- Walter Panas Girls Varsity Volleyball This past season was full of memories for the Walter Panas Volleyball team that they will never forget. The team finished the season with a 19-2 overall record. They were League Champions, Sectional Champions, Regional Champions, and State Finalists.
- Delaney Leonard, Lakeland-Panas Girls Swimming : Lakeland High School senior Delaney Leonard has been a member of the Lakeland-Panas swimming team since middle school. She has broken the school records in the 50 Freestyle and 100 Freestyle this season. She was a Sectional Qualifier in the 50 Freestyle, 100 Freestyle, 100 Butterfly, and 100 Backstroke.
Linda Daly, Con Edison Award Winner The Lakeland High School Girls Varsity Soccer team completed the fall season with a record of 12-4-1, their best record in over
20 years. Linda Daly was the driving force behind the team's success this year. Linda will leave Lakeland soccer as one of the very best to wear green and gold. She was a four-year starter, named All-League and All-Section each of the past three seasons. In October, Linda was awarded the Con Edison Scholar-Athlete award, making her the first to receive this award in Lakeland Girls Soccer history.
- The 2021 Lakeland Varsity Field Hockey Team had an incredible season winning both League A as well as the Class B Section Championship!
- Lakeland-Panas Cross Country Bobby Mayclim has been a Top 10 finisher in all races this season. He is the recipient of All League and All County honors.
October 21, 2021 Lakeland Salutes (pdf)
- Congratulations Fransico Duran named the PN/ W/ BOCES Student of Distinction! Click here to view the video
- Congratulations Lakeland H.S. Senior Mia Smith named Con Edison Athlete of the Week
- School Board Recognition Week - Special Thanks to LCSD Board Members for their dedication and service!
September 23, 2021 Lakeland Salutes (pdf)
- Congratulations Chloe Henriquez 11th grade student at WPHS selected for the 2021 New York State School Music Association All-Student Mixed Chorus!
August 12, 2021 Lakeland Salutes (pdf)
- Congratulations to the District Destination Imagination Teams!