Welcome to Lakeland Schools

1310R Complaints Concerning School Personnel! Student Issues and School Matter

1310R Complaints Concerning School Personnel! Student Issues and School Matter
Adopted: 02/2002 Revised: 03/21/2019, 11/19/2015
Back to 1310   

The following procedures, adopted by the Board of Education as part of Policy #1310, are designed to provide parents and other community members with an efficient and effective way of processing and resolving complaints and concerns at the earliest possible stage.  The procedures listed below should be followed before an issue is brought to the Board of Education. 

  • Teacher: in most cases, a parent should speak with the individual who works most closely with his/her child, the  teacher;
  • Guidance Office: At the Middle or High Schools, questions regarding student schedules, counseling, or college applications should first be addressed to the guidance department;
  • Principal or Assistant Principal: If an issue is not resolved after speaking to the teacher or guidance counselor, a building administrator should be contacted;
  • Transportation Office: If an issue involves transportation matters, such as routing or times, the transportation office should be contacted first, and if not resolved, the Transportation Supervisor should be contacted.

Central Office Administrators: If an issue is not resolved at the building administrator level, a central office administrator should be contacted as follows:

  • Director of Facilities for transportation concerns;
  • Business Manager for business-based concerns;
  • Assistant Superintendent for Instruction for instructional concerns;
  • Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources for personnel issues;
  • Assistant Superintendent for Pupil Personnel Services or designee for special education issues, health office concerns and registration or residency concerns.

If an issue or concern remains unresolved after following the above procedures, the Superintendent of Schools should be contacted.

If the issue is not resolved at the Superintendent of Schools level, the issue or concern may be brought to the Board of Education, in writing for their consideration. They will determine if it is within their purview and appropriate for consideration.  All correspondence for the Board of Education should be sent to the District Clerk. The Board of Education may determine not to address the concern or issue.

In extreme circumstances, such as health or safety issues, you may call your building principal or district office to deal with the issue immediately.

Anonymous complaints regarding harassment, discrimination, abuse and similar matters will be investigated to the extent practicable.  Anonymous allegations of serious criminal conduct or child abuse or neglect will be forwarded by the Superintendent of Schools to the appropriate state or local law enforcement agencies if supported by other credible evidence.

In most cases, if a response cannot be handled immediately, a return call is to be expected within 24 hours.