Rebels Men's Varsity Swim Team Places Sixth in Sectional Meet
The Rebels Men's Varsity Swim Team finished sixth at last week’s Sectional Meet, with several swimmers setting team records and qualifying for States.
A major event was the 200 Freestyle Relay. The Rebels came in first in the section, broke a team record and qualified for States. The team was made up of Jack Pagel, Alex Gorzula, Steven Macaluso and Gabe Rzezwicki. With a record at 1:29.30, this is the first time the Rebels have sent a relay to States since 2009.
“Congratulations to all of our swimmers,” coach Patrick Connolly. “This was a phenomenal meet. It was one of best Sectional Meets this team has ever had.”
- The 200 Medley Relay, comprising Will Fagan, Jason Manse, Steven Macaluso and Anthony Esposito, finished in 12th place with a time of 1:48.54.
- In the 200 Freestyle, Gabe Rzezwicki finished fifth with a time of 1:49.11. During Sectional prelims, Gabe qualified for States and broke the team record in the 200 Freestyle with a time of 1:46.63.
- In the 200 Individual Medley, three swimmers competed: Will Fagan, Alex Gorzula and Jack Pagel. Jack Pagel finished 12th with a time of 2:03.60, Will finished seventh with a time of 2:02.47, which broke the previous record, and Alex Gorzula finished fifth with a time of 2:00.95, a new team record.
- In the 100 Butterfly, Steven Macaluso finished in eighth place and qualified for States with a time of 53.82.
- In the 100 Freestyle, Jack Pagel finished in 11th with a time of 50.14 and Gabe Rzezwicki qualified for States, finished third overall and broke the team record with a time of 48.89.
- In the 500 Freestyle Will Fagan finished in fifth place with a time of 4:54.28 (breaking the team record) and Alex Gorzula finished in fourth place with a time of 4:53.78, which set a new team record.
Swimmers from Walter Panas High School, Lakeland High School and Putnam Valley High School swim for the Rebels. The swimmers who were part of the Sectionals Team are: Remy Eppner (PVHS), Anthony Esposito (PVHS), William Fagan (LHS), Michael Garofalo (PVHS), Alexander Gorzula (LHS), Steven Macaluso (LHS), Jason Manse (LHS), Jack Pagel (WPHS), Gabriel Rzezwicki (PVHS), and Ronan White (LCBMS).
“Congratulations to the Rebels on a great season,” Connolly said.