National Honor Society Criteria—The National Honor Society is a prestigious organization, stressing the qualities of scholarship, character, service and leadership, which each applicant must demonstrate. Grade point averages are not rounded in determining honor society eligibility. The requirements are:
- Students must have at least an 88 unweighted average
- Students must have no discipline/behavior concerns either in or out of school
- Students must have completed 80 service hours before they apply—documentation for these 80 hours is due by September 30
- During the course of their senior year, students must continue service and must complete an additional 20 hours within their high school
- Students must submit proof of service and have two letters attesting to their character and/or service
- Students must hand in the invitational packet and letters when due in order to be considered
- Students who are denied admittance will have recourse to appeal their denial through the channels outlined in the national handbook
- Students are expected to maintain good standing through senior year in order to remain in the honor society
***Note Change Below......
- Students will be sent a letter saying that they are academically eligible in late August or early September if they have an unweighted average of 88 or above.
- We will have our first general meeting in September where students will apply to be a member of NHS.
- The class of 2022 must complete 60 hours of community service, which is unpaid, volunteer service to a group or individual. Please be able to provide proof of service with a letter signed by the person or organization that you per formed service for, with a contact name, email or phone number for our verification. All hours must be completed by October 1st of senior year.
- In addition, students will submit the names of TWO faculty or staff members to the NHS advisor. The advisor will then contact the staff or faculty member for a recommendation.
- Students must also submit a letter to the NHS advisor applying to become a member of NHS.
In October, we will hold a "Pin Ceremony" to celebrate the newest members of the Lakeland High School National Honor Society.